Low Carb Mini Corn Dog Muffins Recipe


Low Carb Mini Corn Dogs
Eating low carb doesn't have to be boring!  These mini corn dogs are yummy - they are great for an appetizer or a lunch for a picky eater :)  My favorite way to eat them is with Heinze reduced sugar ketchup.  These are super easy to make & use ingredients most low carbers will have on hand.  At just 2.5 grams of carbs per serving (4 mini muffins), these can be considered keto.  

I use Boar's Head beef hot dogs.  They do not have sugar like normal hot dogs and are 0 carbs. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1 TBS golden ground flax seed
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted
  • 3/8 cup almond milk
  • 3 TBS water
  • 9 drops EZ Sweetz
  • splash vanilla
  • 3/4 cups +  1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 hot dogs cut into 7 pieces
Low Carb Mini Corn Dogs in Progress & Done :)


DIRECTIONS:

  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a non-stick mini muffin.

  • In bowl, combine coconut flour, baking powder, and ground flax seed breaking up any clumps with the back of a fork.  Add 3/4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and stir well.

  • In pyrex or glass bowl, melt butter (about 20 seconds in microwave).  Stir in water, almond milk, EZ Sweetz and vanilla extract.  Break eggs into bowl & beat well to make sure well stirred.
Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients, mix well.

  • Fill each mini muffin cavity about two thirds full of batter.  I use a cookie dough scoop for this step.  

  • Press one piece of hot dog into the center of each. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese.

  • Bake 20 - 25 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch, cheese is melted and tops are slightly browned. 

  • Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before removing from muffin pan.  

MY EXTRA THOUGHTS:

I use a silicone mini muffin pan so I don't have to worry about greasing or paper liners.  I do use my misto to spray with some olive oil - probably more out of habit than necessity :)

Sometimes I have enough batter for 21 mini muffins and sometimes I don't.  This time I ended up with an extra bit of hot dog.   Sometimes I end up with too much batter (laughs) and when that happens I press a well into the spot and break up bits of shaved ham in there.

For a nut free option you can use half heavy cream and half water or coconut milk.

If you don't have flax seed on hand, you can omit the flax and 3TBS of water and use 3 eggs instead of 2.  When I do that, there's less batter and I only cut my hot dogs into 6 pieces.

If you prefer to use a sweetener other than EZ-Sweetz, 9 drops is 1 TBS.

If you only have unsweetened vanilla almond milk on hand - use that but omit the splash of vanilla.  

These can be frozen to eat later.  For best results, I recommend baking them at 350 for 15 or so minutes to reheat.  If you store them in the fridge to eat at a later date - same - reheating in the oven provides the best results.

 I have yet to try this, but I'm thinking of tweaking this recipe to use the THM baking blend that I have (I'll link it below).  I will omit the ground flax seed and coconut flour & reduce the water to 1 TBS and add 1 TBS of olive oil.  I'm thinking I would use 6 TBS of the THM baking blend.

NUTRITION INFORMATION:

  • This is figured on 20 mini muffins, 4 mini muffins per serving.  

I shop on Amazon ALL the time so I finally registered for an affiliate account to share with ya'll the products I actually use.  If you purchase from my link, the price will be the same, but Amazon may give me a small perk.  Here are the useful items I used in this blog post:

ingredient items



my favorite low carb ketchup

KITCHEN GOODS 

Kelly Anderson

Kelly is.....Silly, free-spirited and in love with life. Army Mom. Wife. Jewelry Artisan. Dreamer. Problem Solver. Music Lover. Recipe Hunter. kreatedbykelly.com